Harira (Moroccan Bean Soup)
Beans and Veggies:
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 can chickpeas (or 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 large onion (about 2 cups diced)
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes (I skipped this as I didn't have any)
- oil for frying
Herbs and Spices:
- 1 bunch parsley, divided (1 cup for soup, 1/2 cup for garnish)
- 1 bunch cilantro, divided (1 cup for soup, 1/2 cup for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon harissa or ground chile flakes, plus more for serving
- salt to taste (about 2 teaspoons)
- 9 cups water or stock
To finish soup:
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
Put lentils in cold water and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a simmer.
(If using raw chickpeas, they take far longer to cook. Look them up.)
Dice onion and fry. Slice carrot and celery and add to onion. Add spices
and stir. Then add everything to lentil pot. Also add (canned) chickpeas.
Add cilantro and parsley, reserving some for garnish.
Simmer until lentils are cooked and flavors blended.
Five minutes before serving, remove 1 cup of broth. Add 1/2 cup cold water.
Juice the lemons and add lemon juice, flour, and egg to the broth mix.
Stir back into soup and simmer for five more minutes.
Adjust seasoning and serve. Can top with yogurt.